I hate living in an apartment.

Well, that’s a little general. I pretty much like living in an apartment at this point in my life (it’s better than a van down by the river) but THIS apartment in a college town where the people are not only hicks, but also generally bad at business.

You’ve all been privy to my occasional rants about the bathroom (still no door) and the parking placard (still don’t have one) and all that crap. Well, they finally turned on the building heat -but now the woman who owns the building (I can only assume it’s her doing) is having all the large glass windows bricked up. The entry way once was a large wall of glass, letting in natural light that actually made the place look a little cheery despite the stairs with brown rubber skid protectors that dont match and the really cheap wood (sort of?) paneling. Now large grey cinder blocks make up over half of the wall and the only open glass area is the doors and a small pane about one foot wide on either side.

The back doors were once accompanied by glass panes as well, but those panes were replaced with the ugly large grey cinder blocks and heavy steel doors with one foot square windows in the upper middle.

This place is starting to look like a frickin’ cross between a mental hospital and a cement factory. YUCK.

God I want to move.

Anyone who knows legal stuff: If my lease says that maintenance issues will be addressed within 90 days (which it does) and they don’t put a door on my bathroom by then (next month -18th or so) can I break my lease and move? Will I have to pay a fine or lose my deposit?

Help! They’re taking away my sunshine!


2 thoughts on “ARG!

  1. It might depend on the exact language in the lease, but if you can document your request in writing, then after 90 days you should be able to send them a letter telling them they’re in default on the lease and telling them that you are terminating it and demanding the return of your security deposit.
    Now, I’m guessing that this particular landlord will not voluntarily return the deposit, so you’d have to sue her. You may or may not get a judge to return it to you and you’d have to go to court if she didnt’ return it.
    In Chicago, the law is actually quite a bit stronger than the generic Illinois state laws and just her bricking up the windows could be cause for termination or a significant decrease in rent – but you’re not covered by those laws. DeKalb may have additional laws – the university can probably tell you a little about them.
    I’m really sorry to hear about this. Even if it’s not university-owned, they may have services to help you deal with your landlord – ask around in student services.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s